Wednesday, April 06, 2011

USE OF SONGS IN TEACHING


In our previous class, we learned about the usage of songs in teaching short stories. The short stories we had got were The Bridge and the Ghost. Before, we read the stories, we had to watch two video clips entitled It Coming Back to me Now and My Heart will go on by Celine Dion. The purpose was to make better understanding when we read the short stories.

A unique thing about this lesson, we had been given freedom to insert the song in any parts of the story that we found suitable. I liked it because I learned to be more particular when reading. I started to look on details so that I won’t put the song at wrong place. Finally, I chose part where she tried to commit suicide to insert song My Heart Will Go On and part where her boyfriend saw ghost ‘It Coming Back To Me Now’. I found out many of my friends put the same too. Haha, what a coincidence!

I think the lesson would be beneficial to be done in classroom. I am sure students will love to listen and watch video. A stress free learning environment should exist so that student can get interested to learn. However, make sure the songs are familiar so that, they can feel the attachment during the lesson. So far, I have no comments about Dr Jaya’s class. He is very creative teacher and I do learn a lot from his teaching’s activities. Hope to be like him in the future. A great teacher should learn from great teacher too!


0 comments: